Preventing Obesity by Design in Wake County (POD Wake Co.)
The purpose of POD Wake Co. is to address the obesity epidemic in young children attending childcare by creating a multidisciplinary intervention to transform childcare outdoor learning environments (OLEs) into active, productive best practice demonstration sites (eight in Phase One and eight in Phase Two). The six-year project will focus on design, management, and training to create active, edible OLEs that will benefit from several growing seasons.
Major activities include:
- Creating eight outdoor learning environment demonstration sites in Wake County through design training, management, programming, and support for community engagement and fundraising.
- Technical assistance to convert unattractive “playgrounds” devoid of plants into productive OLEs for children, families, and the community.
- POD Wake demonstration sites will be used for interactive trainings twice a year to engage an additional ten centers (60 centers by the end of the project).
- Evaluation process to measure environmental and behavioral changes including attitudes towards outdoor activities by childcare providers.
- Technical assistance will be provided on-call and online via the Green Desk and NLI InfoSheet library at the NLI’s website.
POD Wake Co. is supported by the John Rex Endowment.
- Childcare Centers (14)
- Comprehensive Projects (10)
- Current (10)
- Design Assistance (20)
- Montessori Schools (5)
- Museums (1)
- Non formal Education Institutions (2)
- Parks and Recreation (7)
- Preventing Obesity by Design (POD) (7)
- Professional Development (6)
- Research (14)
- Residential Neighborhoods (2)
- Schools (5)