Parent Engagement – November
Activity: Acorn Throwing
Use the plethora of acorns that have fallen this fall to make a fun game. You can make your own targets or simply use buckets with assigned point values. Whoever gets the most acorns wins.
Plant of the Month: Broccoli (Brassica oleracea var. italica)
Broccoli, a cool-season crop, is an easy plant to grow in the fall season. Related to cauliflower, cabbage, and kale, broccoli is known for its high nutritional value and anti-cancerous properties according to the American Cancer Society. For best results, broccoli should be grown in soils that are fertile, well-drained, and have texture ranging from sandy loam to clay loam. The variety that grows well in North Carolina is Packman Hybrid (standard variety).
Recipe: Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 to 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pepper (to taste)
- Put the watermelon pieces, water, lime or lemon juice, mint and honey into blender.
- Blend ingredients until the mixture is smooth.
- Serve right away or cover and refrigerate up to 4 hours. Make sure to stir before serving.
Stachys byzantina. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/all/stachys-byzantina/