Parent Engagement – January
Activity: Painting with nature’s paintbrush
Help children create their own paintbrush using natural materials found outdoors. These natural materials may include pine cones, acorns, leaves, and pine needles. With the help of your child(ren), take a trip outdoors to find these materials. After you collect them, attach findings to a stick or dip directly into paint for children to enjoy the unique strokes and look these natural “brushes” will bring to their painting.
Plant of the Month: Paperwhites (Narcissus)
Known for its flowers, Paperwhites are special bulb flowers for the winter season. Blooming in December and January, this fragrant flower comes in shades of white and yellow. They add color and perfume indoors in the early winter months. For best results, grow Paperwhite’s bulbs in October or November. You could even grow this plant indoors in containers.
Recipe: Fresh Greens & Pasta
- 1-2 bunches fresh kale or your favorite greens, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, diced or pressed
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 16-ounces linguine or your favorite pasta
- ¼ cup salt Cooking spray
- Boil water for the pasta, adding the ¼ cup salt to the water.
- Drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
- Heat ½ cup olive oil over medium heat in a large frying pan and cook the onion until it is translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for two minutes.
- Toss in the kale and sauté to desired tenderness, approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Toss in the kale mixture in with the pasta.
- Finally, add the Parmesan cheese and toss until cheese is melted.
Fresh Greens and Pasta. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://chathammillsfarmersmarket.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Fresh-Greens-and-Pasta.pdf
Narcissus (Paperwhites) – Tender III. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/all/narcissus-paperwhites-tender-iii/